Do you ever feel that reading an English chat paragraph or an English article takes so much time? Speed of reading maybe 200-350 words per minute but you still don’t understand the content of the whole article or miss some main ideas of the article.
This may absolutely occur if you don’t know how to read quickly and effectively. Here are some tips that help you increase your reading comprehension.
1. Firstly you should skim through the article. Determine what is the main heading, parts, and related documents? The purpose of doing this is to acquire the main content that you concern, simultaneously you will decide what direction your process of reading follows.
2. While you are reading, you should try to control your speed of reading. Definitely, you will feel tired if you have to focus on all parts, all contents of the article. You can speak more slowly at the section if you feel it is the important section of the article. And don’t forget to increase the speed of reading in the section which is familiar to you and easily understandable.
3. Instead of focusing on all words one by one in the paragraph, you try reading a whole word group at the same time in which the words of the group are closely connected. Doing this can reduce the time of reading so much. You can use some computer programs such as Speed Reader or Rapid Reader that are created to help readers increase their speed of reading with flash words, flash letters.
4. You should concern with the effect of reading, so the first purpose you made will be successful. On the other hand, you should focus on the main words in sentences or main ideas in the article. You will waste so much time if you spend too much effort on conjunction, preposition or article (a, an, the, but, and, or, nor, but…)
5. Mark while you are reading by whatever you can use. A pencil, pen, your fingers that all can control your eyes looking from left to right or from up to down. Do like this, you will not miss what you don’t read yet and avoid reading again. That is a useful tool that helps you control your process of reading. And of course, you will read fast and more exactly.
6. Talk about what you read. Some readers find that when talking about what they read to their friends, relatives, they tend to sum up their knowledge better, simultaneously remember longer.
7. Choose the way you read which is suitable to you. Don’t impose yourself because the ability of reading of each person is different as well as how difficult or easy of documents causes the different speed of reading. Maybe you can’t focus on a document for 1 hour or half-hour, so why do you have to try to do that? Choose a period of time in the day when you feel most mindful and ready to read whatever.
8. A suitable space is very important. Practice reading at a place where you are not neglected, disturbed, or a place that can inspire you.
9. Practice! Only practice! Practice a lot! This is the success secret when you want to master whatever skill in English. You should try hard to read, read all topics that you concern about whenever you can. And do not forget to remember important information. While you are reading, if something in the article is not clear to you, you should move on to avoid blocking your process of reading. And of course, you will return to read again and consider deeply then.
To sum up, reading comprehension is very interesting and provides much knowledge for us, but sometimes it doesn’t take so much time if we know how to increase, decrease the speed of reading. There are many methods to read fast and more effectively but the most important thing is you should choose the most suitable method for you. All you need is merely a book, a clock, and a pencil.
Don’t forget to join our English Chat room to practicing English now.